Locate Older Air Force Military Personnel Records




Want Instant Access? 


How to Locate Older Air Force Military Personnel Records



Older Airforce Military Personnel Records Search

How to Locate Older Army Military Personnel Records

Locating older military service records is a bit different than locating more current military records. In particular, anything prior to World War I is considered an older military service record. These records are stored at the National Archives and Records Administration in the Old Military and Civil Records Branch, or NWCTB. This is located in Washington, DC. Therefore, it is not possible to order these records by visiting the eVetRecs system.

A request for a paper copy of military records prior to World War I can be made through the Internet using the following link for Order Online:
It is recommended that you use one of the following browsers when accessing this website: Internet Explorer version 5.01 or later, AOL version 6.0 or later, or Netscape 6.2.3 or later. It is possible to use a different browser, as long as technical difficulties do not occur.

Copies of Compiled military records, as well as Microfilm Publications are available for a fee that can be charged to most major credit cards. The above link will present three options for the visitor.

The first option is to answer a few short questions that will aid in identifying the type of microfilm or reproduction you should request in your order. The next option allows you to go directly to the ordering process for made-to-order reproductions of military records. The third option allows you to go directly to the site that is open for research and selection of Federal records that have been stored on microfilm.

If you select the compiled military service file, there is a fee for $17.00 that covers shipping and handling. This file includes all officers who served prior to June 30, 1917. It also includes all enlisted men who served prior to October 31, 1912. Additionally, all of the Confederate armed forces, including the enlisted men and the officers who served between the years of 1861 and 1865 are included in this document. Other fees vary depending on the records that are requested and purchased.

If you are unsure what it is that you need to order, an interactive service is available on the home page to help you decide. You will respond to short questions in this service. Your answers will be used to determine the ordering path or research channel you need to take next in order to find the information that you are looking to locate. This system can actually help you to locate the individual records held in the NARA that pertain to your request.

The success of your search is dependent upon the completeness and accuracy of the information that you provide. If NARA’s search is unsuccessful for you and they cannot locate the records for you, then there will be no charge.

It is necessary to complete NATF 86 to request military service forms for veterans who received their discharge prior to 1912. This form can be ordered at the following link: http://www.archives.gov/contact/inquire-form.html#part-a

Once your request for reproductions is received, it will be processed. However, this will take time since a search must be conducted for the records first. Next, the records will be photocopied. Then, the records will be packaged and shipped to the address that you have provided on the order form (NATF 86). Finally, a charge will be assessed to the credit card account that you have provided.

Looking for Access to Airforce Records? Check here




Login - Contact Us - Home - How to Locate Older Air Force Military Personnel Records
 All Rights Reserved Copyright 2008 FreeRecordsRegistry.com  Military Records Search
FreeRecordsRegistry.com is an affiliate site that recommends legal means of public records research only.