How to Find Divorce Records in North Carolina




Want Instant Access? 


Divorce Records North Carolina




North Carolina Divorce Records

Divorce Records in North Carolina - Divorce records can be used to verify that a divorce has taken place or for genealogical purposes. They can be found at the local courthouse in the County Divorce Records where the divorce was filed and finalized. States usually have a database of the divorces that have occurred in their jurisdiction as well.

Typically, the states maintain a central repository for records of this nature. Although states will provide copies of divorce records upon request, certified copies are typically available at the County Divorce Records offices only. The state repository in North Carolina only has divorce records dated past January 1958.

In order to locate divorce records, a written request should be given to the local County Divorce Records courthouse. In North Carolina, the Clerk of the Superior Court should be contacted. A small fee is required and the cost can be acquired by calling the following number: (919) 733-3526. Some counties accept credit card payments or checks.

Basic information about the divorced couple is included on the record. This typically includes the following information:
• the husband’s full name
• the wife’s full name (with maiden name)
• the County Divorce Records name where the divorce took place
• the filing date of the divorce
• the date of the finalized divorce
• the certificate number

Some states also list the number of the couple’s children under the age of eighteen at the time the divorce was filed.

If you do not know the name of the County Divorce Records, you can conduct a search on past and present spouses that will also produce the address. This can then be used to conduct a search for the divorce records. Once a request is made, it takes between two to ten days to complete depending on the completeness of the information and the availability of other staff.



Verify Work History - Home - Divorce Record Resources
All Rights Reserved Copyright 2008 is an affiliate site that recommends legal means of public records research only.